Friday 3 October 2014

Bittersweet by: Sarah Ockler

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Romance, Coming of Age

Bittersweet was a great book about following your dreams. Hudson, an aspiring figure skater has just found out that her father had been cheating on her mother. Devastated, her mother moves her and her brother to the small town of Watonka, New York. There, Hudson gives up skating to work as a cupcake baker in her mother's diner. She has shut her father out of her life. However, her life changes when she is offered to teach her high school's hockey team some techniques. She begins to love the ice again. Things aren't always better however. Love triangles, a nagging father and a struggling diner, makes Hudson wonder where she'll end up after high school.

I think this book was very well written, and it definitely had a great plot. I think that the story of Hudson, and her struggles with her future, are things that other people can relate too. While reading this book, it helped me realise that I should be doing more of what makes me happy, and not what anyone else wants me to do.

I loved the character of Hudson, because of how compassionate she was. She gave up everything for her broken family, and was very supportive of her mom. She is a great example of someone who cares about others. I think that her character can influence others to be more compassionate.

There is one thing that I did not like about this book, and that was the lack of suspense. Since it is a romance novel, I do understand that it should not have so much suspense, however I would have liked to have read more plot twists. The book was kind of predictable, which made it a bit boring. Having said that, the book was still very good.

I think this book was a great coming of age novel, about following your dreams. Overall, I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars, just because I would have wished it to be more unpredictable.


Bye for Now! 
Paperback Princess


No comments:

Post a Comment