Friday 28 October 2016

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes #1) by: Sara Raasch

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Published: October 14, 2014 by: Balzer and Bray
Pages: 416
Rating: 4/5 stars



For her entire life, Meira has lived as a Winterian refugee, after The Kingdom of Winter was raided and their power overthrown. Meira lives with the other eight surviving members of Winter, as they prepare for finally being able to take back their kingdom. When Meira finds out of a mysterious locket that could help reclaim the kingdom, she goes after it, battling with evil forces and her own destiny. However there may be more to this mission than she thought, and it could put her, and Winter, in danger.

To be honest, I did not think that I would enjoy this book at all. It looked like a heavy fantasy that I would just find boring and lacking. However I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this book, and I think I may have found a new fantasy series to love!

I really loved all of the characters in this book. I loved how Meira wasn't your typical heroine who is ruthless and an avid fighter. I liked how she was kind of timid and had to work up to being a fighter, it was a good change of pace. I also loved the other Winterians, I even thought that the villains were written well!

I enjoyed the pacing of this novel. It wasn't too boring at all, I thought that the language really built up intensity and I found myself fully entertained. There wasn't a huge influx of information being thrown at me that I couldn't handle, I thought that the book had a perfect balance of showing vs. telling.

I guess the one complaint I had was I thought the ending was a bit rushed. It seemed like all of this new information is being thrown at you at the end, as opposed to the steady pace in the beginning and middle. The ending made things kind of confusing.

Overall though, a great fantasy book for people who don't like fantasy!

Have you read Snow Like Ashes? What did you think?

Emily @ Paperback Princess

4 comments:

  1. It's always awesome to find a new series to love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for so long! Hopefully i'll pick it up someday...

    ReplyDelete